Name for single repeated note

Is there a music theory term to describe when a melody revolves around one key repeated note? For example, in a piece I am playing, the melody is: F C G C Ab C Bb C. Or, in my version of "spatial awareness" ( an exercise a lot of front ensembles seem to play) , we play a blues scale, but we play a C in between each note of the scale (Eb C F C F# C G C Bb C and so on). So, in both of those situations, what would that C be called, if anything? Apparently it shows up frequently in piano music. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Music Theory Questions.

A Clear Path To Learning Music Theory

essential music theory book learn to read music

For more help check out my new theory book Essential Music Theory: Learn To Read And Appreciate Music Vol. 1 available for iPad and Mac OS.

  • A simple step-by-step course that takes you from complete beginner to grade 2 music theory
  • Multi-faceted learning - audio, video, mind maps, clear musical examples 
  • Built in quizzes to check your understanding

Click here for more information.

Or get it on the iBooks Store!